Albuquerque Public Schools Deputy Superintendent Jason Martinez never completed a criminal background check and fingerprinting in his short time at the district. Both are required for all employees, according to the school district’s website. Update: Something that would have showed up on the background check? That Martinez is facing trial in two months for six counts related to sexual abuse of a child. The story continues as originally written below.
The embattled deputy superintendent with Albuquerque Public Schools handed in his letter of resignation late Thursday afternoon, just days into his first school year. Jason Martinez was involved in a high profile back-and-forth with Chief Operating Officer Don Moya over a possible IT assessment. In his letter, according to the school district, Martinez cited personal and family commitments as the reasons for his decision to resign. His resignation is effective Aug. 21.
An Albuquerque Public Schools controversy prompted its most recognizable school board member to speak out one week after hitting the headlines. At a Board of Education meeting on Wednesday night, Steven Michael Quezada addressed Superintendent Luis Valentino’s leaked text message telling one of his high-ranking administrators that he was “going to go after” him. The text message appeared to be meant for state Public Education Department Secretary Hanna Skandera. “I’m really concerned about matters of personnel going to the Secretary of Education when I felt it should have been the first email I’ve gotten when I landed in Miami,” board member Quezada said at the meeting. Quezada, a professional actor and standup comedian best known for playing DEA agent Steven Gomez in the AMC series Breaking Bad, said he was out of the country on business when the APS scandal unfolded.
Albuquerque Public Schools Superintendent Luis Valentino spoke out following a week of controversy over the district’s controversial decision to place an administrator on paid leave. In a written statement released to media outlets late Monday afternoon, Valentino appeared ready to move on. “It’s unfortunate that a personnel issue has been forced into the headlines on these first days of school when our focus should be on our students,” he wrote. His statement follows news of leaked emails showing Chief Financial Officer Don Moya disputing a potential district business deal with a tech company, as well as the district’s subsequent plans to write a request for proposals for an assessment of its IT systems.
Moya was put on leave Aug. 7 after receiving an accidental text message from Valentino that said he was “going to go after him.”
The deputy superintendent of Albuquerque Public Schools directly contacted the controversial former chief operating officer of a tech company for a possible assessment of the school district’s IT systems.
Deputy Superintendent Jason Martinez reached out to Bud Bullard, the former chief operating officer of Advanced Network Management for potential business with the school district. Martinez and Bullard are no strangers. Both worked at Denver Public Schools at the same time. While Bullard was in charge of the district’s IT department, Martinez was the deputy director of academic operations from 2010 to 2012. “In this particular case Mr. Martinez reached out to Mr. Bullard,” ANM CEO Raminder Mann told New Mexico Political Report in an interview, referring to his company’s contact with APS.
Last week, the superintendent of the state’s biggest public school district accidentally told one of his administrators via text message that he was “going to go after” him. The school district placed Chief Financial Officer Don Moya on paid leave shortly after Albuquerque Public Schools Superintendent Luis Valentino sent the text message. To date, neither Albuquerque Public Schools or Moya will comment on why Valentino is targeting Moya or why the district put Moya leave. Yet internal school district emails obtained by New Mexico Political Report show Moya raising concerns about a potential business agreement days before being put on leave. At issue was the school district’s possible agreement with an IT company whose former chief operating officer received kickbacks from contractors when he worked with Denver Public Schools.
Albuquerque Public Schools acknowledged Tuesday the authenticity of a text message that said the superintendent was “going to go after” an employee who is now on administrative leave. Last Friday, Superintendent Luis Valentino mistakenly sent district Chief Financial Officer Don Moya a text message that said he was “going to go after” Moya. Valentino apparently meant to send the message to state Education Secretary Hanna Skandera. “Mrng [sic] Hanna,” the message began. “I am going to go after Don Moya in d [sic] next couple of weeks.
New Mexico’s largest public schools district put a top administrator on leave last Friday. Don Moya, the Chief Financial Officer for Albuquerque Public Schools, remains on paid administrative leave today, according to district spokeswoman Johanna King. King would not speak about why Moya was placed on leave, saying it was a personnel issue. On Sunday, the Facebook account of Stand4KidsNM, an advocacy group critical of state Education Secretary Hanna Skandera’s school reforms, published what appears to be a text message Moya received from APS Superintendent Luis Valentino. Update: APS confirmed to New Mexico Political Report on Tuesday that Valentino sent the text message.
Some school districts are still facing a shortage of teachers just days before the start of the new school year. Both Rio Rancho Public Schools and Albuquerque Public Schools have had a deficit of teachers in general as well as special education. Teacher’s unions as well as a representative of APS admitted that part of the problem may stem from a higher demand on teachers and inadequate compensation. With most schools in the state preparing to begin classes in a matter of days, New Mexico Political Report reached out to three large school districts in New Mexico to find out how many positions are still vacant. Last month APS held a job fair in order to fill teacher positions.
As Albuquerque Public Schools wrapped up a job fair to recruit more faculty, some were asking why there is such a great need for teachers even as APS says there is no shortage. KOAT-TV reported that APS is short by about 300 teachers. Monica Armenta, the APS executive director of communications, told the station that there are more demands for teachers and pay has stayed about the same. Another APS official told New Mexico Political Report that there isn’t really a shortage, at least when compared to previous years. APS spokesman Rigo Chavez said staffing numbers are always low this time of year.