Contradicting a New York Times report that said Susana Martinez’s campaign didn’t answer calls from Donald Trump’s campaign, a spokesman told the Albuquerque Journal that the phone calls never happened.
“Gov. Martinez had no interest in being considered for vice president, but the claim that Mr. Lewandowski – or anyone else from the Trump campaign – called her before the Albuquerque rally is completely false,” Public Information Officer Chris Sanchez said, according to the Journal.
The same spokesman did not respond to a request for comment from NM Political Report on Thursday. Sanchez frequently fails to respond to requests for comment from NM Political Report and in some cases, such as this one, responds to requests for the same issues from other outlets.
The Journal also reported that Martinez still will not endorse Donald Trump until she hears more about Trump’s plans for the national labs and nuclear installations in New Mexico. This is something she has said for months.
She also said that she needs Trump to soften his stance on immigrants who are in the country illegally.
Some of the first night of the Republican National Convention was devoted to talking about illegal immigration, including former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani claiming that Hillary Clinton wanted open borders, which Politifact ruled false.
Other speakers at the first night of the RNC were families of victims of crimes committed by those who are in the country illegally.
Building a wall along the United States-Mexico border has been a cornerstone of Trump’s campaign since he launched it last summer. Trump has said that he would make Mexico pay for the wall.
Martinez, according to the Washington Post, criticized Trump’s plan to build a wall and have Mexico pay for it as unrealistic and irresponsible. Martinez reportedly made the comments at a gathering of high-dollar Republican donors earlier this year.