Heinrich calls for more protection of faith-based community centers

Two U.S. Senators, including one from New Mexico, want a Senate committee to address the high number of threats and attacks across the country against community centers, namely Jewish Community Centers. New Mexico U.S. Sen. Martin Heinrich, along with Republican U.S. Sen. Dean Heller of Nevada wrote a letter requesting a Senate Homeland Security Committee hearing about  the high number of bomb threats aimed at religious community centers across the country. “In the first two months of 2017, 100 bomb threats have already occurred, including two in Albuquerque and one in Las Vegas, and have forced the evacuations of hundreds across the country,” the senators wrote. Related: ABQ Jewish Community Center one of over a dozen targeted with bomb threat and ABQ Jewish Community Center again part of wave of bomb threats

The two senators also urged the committee to help move forward a bill they are cosponsing to allocate more money to the Department of Homeland Security, specifically to  protect faith-based community centers. “Faith-based community centers should be sanctuaries and open, inviting places for our citizens, and no American should feel unsafe at these centers,” their letter read.

ABQ Jewish Community Center again part of wave of bomb threats

For the second time in two months, Albuquerque’s Jewish Community Center was targeted with a bomb threat today. It was one of at least 10 bomb threats to different JCCs across the country. Fred Duran, a spokesman with the Albuquerque Police Department, said the bomb threat to the Albuquerque location “came through the phone.” JCC staff evacuated the building after the threat came, and APD officers found no bomb inside, according to Duran. Everything at the JCC is currently operating “back to normal,” Duran added. Similar bomb threats were directed against JCCs today in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Texas, New York and Alabama, according to the Jewish Telegraphic Agency.

ABQ Jewish Community Center one of over a dozen targeted with bomb threat

Albuquerque’s Jewish Community Center is functioning back to normal Tuesday afternoon after a scare from a phoned bomb threat. The threat came in a phone call to the JCC earlier in the day, according to Albuquerque Police Department spokesman Simon Drobik. The JCC responded by quickly evacuating staff. “We then sent over the bomb squad and deemed the area safe,” Drobik said. The bomb scare came on the same day threats were made against at least 17 other JCCs in five other states, according to a report in Jewish Telegraphic Agency.