The daily recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (3/30/20 edition)

Note: This daily recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico from the previous day is available in a daily email. Sign up here. The same post will also appear on our website each morning. The state announced an additional 29 positive cases of COVID-19 on Sunday. That brings the state’s total to 237 positive cases. The state also reported 22 people have been hospitalized this month and 26 cases of recovery.  The Navajo Nation’s count of positive COVID-19 cases hit 128 on Sunday, including 24 in New Mexico. The Navajo Nation’s 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew goes into place Monday.The Carlsbad Current-Argus wrote about the third confirmed case of COVID-19 in Eddy County, which was first announced by the City of Carlsbad.Those detained in New Mexico’s jails and prisons say that ICE is violating hygiene and distancing rules, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.New Mexico school districts are rushing to prepare for distance learning in the final weeks of the academic year.

The daily recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (3/29/20 edition)

Note: This daily recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico from the previous day is available in a daily email. Sign up here. The same post will also appear on our website each morning. The state Department of Health announced a second person has died with COVID-19. The DOH also announced on Saturday afternoon that there are 17 new cases of COVID-19, a disease caused by a coronavirus, in the state. The new cases bring the state’s total to 208 cases. Read our story here.The Navajo Nation announced Saturday night that there are now 115 confirmed positive COVID-19 cases on the Navajo Nation, including 18 in New Mexico.Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez will implement a curfew from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. daily, beginning Monday.

The daily recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (3/28/20 edition)

Note: This daily recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico from the previous day is available in a daily email. Sign up here. The same post will also appear on our website each morning. Public school closures will continue through the end of the academic year, the state’s Public Education Department announced. PED Secretary Ryan Stewart said all schools and charters will be required to submit a continuous learning plan for the remainder of the school year. The state is working through issues to ensure equitable access to learning during the pandemic. Read our story here. The cases of COVID-19 in New Mexico skyrocketed on Friday, with the state announcing 55 new positive tests.

The daily recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (3/27/20 edition)

Note: This daily recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico from the previous day is available in a daily email. Sign up here. The same post will also appear on our website each morning. The New Mexico Public Education Department will extend the public school closures. The department says they will announce more details on Friday, as they were still finalizing things on Thursday afternoon. Read our story here.Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham sent a request to the U.S. Department of Defense earlier this week for a 248-bed U.S. Army combat support hospital to be sent to Albuquerque as a proactive measure.“This CSH is urgently needed to support the State of New Mexico’s ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic, which threatens to overwhelm our existing medical treatment facilities and resources,” Lujan Grisham wrote Wednesday in a letter to Defense Secretary Mark Esper.The Albuquerque Journal wrote about the request.KOB-TV reported that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is surveying locations for possible medical facilities, including the old Lovelace Hospital at Gibson and San Mateo.Meanwhile, the state announced another 24 positive COVID-19 cases on Thursday, bringing the total who have tested positive in the state to 136. Read our story here.Small changes can lead to big results when it comes to slowing the spread of COVID-19, Human Services Department Secretary Dr. David Scrase told the Albuquerque Journal.A Taos couple said they have recovered from COVID-19.

The daily recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (3/26/20 edition)

Note: This daily recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico from the previous day is available in a daily email. Sign up here. The same post will also appear on our website each morning. The state announced its first death related to COVID-19, a man in his late-70s. The death in Eddy County took place Sunday. Read more here. The Carlsbad Current-Argus also has on-the-ground reporting, including that the man had previously refused a test for COVID-19 when visiting an area clinic.The state announced 13 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total in the state so far to 112 (a case from Tuesday’s update was a clerical error, the state said).

The daily recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (3/24/20 edition)

Note: This daily recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico from the previous day is available in a daily email. Sign up here. The same post will also appear on our website each morning. Monday’s big news was that the governor issued a stay-at-home order. The order orders all non-essential businesses to suspend in-person operations and asks essential businesses to allow as much work-at-home as possible and adhere to social distancing. Read our story here.Also see the state’s FAQ on the stay-at-home order.The Albuquerque Journal breaks down which businesses are deemed essential.The New Mexico Supreme Court issued further restrictions for court procedures. The order limits the number of people that can be in courtrooms to 15 and mandates that all court proceedings should be done over video conference except in cases of emergency that require in-person appearances. The state reported 18 more COVID-19 cases on Monday.

The daily recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (3/23/20 edition)

Note: This daily recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico from the previous day is available in a daily email. Sign up here. The same post will also appear on our website each morning. Eight more people tested positive for COVID-19, the state of New Mexico reported on Sunday. That brings the total to 65 people.The Santa Fe New Mexican wrote about the economic changes already hitting New Mexico as a result of COVID-19. And, like so many things, it’s hitting those at the lowest end of the economic spectrum hardest.Parents are having a tough time after becoming de facto homeschool teachers for their kids while public schools are closed for at least three weeks. The Associated Press also wrote a story on this.While hospitals and other medical facilities around the country are running out of personal protection equipment, including masks, some crafters are taking it upon themselves to sew masks to help out.

The daily recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (3/21/20 edition)

The number of cases of COVID-19 has risen to 43, and for the first time, a test positive case has been detected in southern New Mexico and western New Mexico.As of Late Thursday, there have been fourteen confirmed cases of COVID-19 on the Navajo Nation, all in Chilchinbeto, Arizona. The first two cases had a history of travel. The Navajo Nation government ordered the closure of Chilchinbeto for quarantine and isolation.Drive-thru COVID-19 testing in Las Cruces halted after 11 a.m., two hours after it began, when the location ran out of tests. Testing in Las Cruces will begin again on Monday.The state of New Mexico extended its tax deadlines by 90 days, echoing a move by the federal government. New Mexico state personal and corporate income taxes and withholding taxes will be due on July 15.

The daily recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (3/20/20 edition)

Note: This daily recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico from the previous day is available in a daily email. Sign up here. The same post will also appear on our website each morning. Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham says a special session is looming because of the economic impact of oil and gas and COVID-19. But she says they need to focus on the COVID-19 response first, and get revenue projections, including any money from federal stimulus. House Republican leadership had sent a letter to Lujan Grisham calling for a special session to address the budget.U.S. Rep. Xochitl Torres Small is in self-quarantine after learning she came into contact with someone who later tested positive for COVID-19. She is currently showing no symptoms. U.S. Rep. Ben Ray Luján went into self-quarantine earlier this week after what his office described as brief contact with someone who later tested positive for COVID-19.Two members of the House have tested positive for the disease.The number of positive test cases of COVID-19 in the state rose to 35 Thursday.

The daily recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (3/19/20 edition)

Today marks the one-week mark since Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham declared a public health emergency because of COVID-19. A lot has happened in that time. Here are the updates that happened on Wednesday, March 18. Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham announced new restrictions, including closing restaurants to in-person dining, closing shopping malls, limiting hotel capacity to 50 percent and more in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19, a disease caused by a coronavirus. More details in our story here. The full press conference is available on the governor’s Facebook page.