© New Mexico Political Report, 2015. Media outlets may republish this story in whole or in part by providing credit to the New Mexico Political Report as the original source. Contact [email protected] for additional inquiries
Following weeks of controversy, Albuquerque Public Schools Superintendent Luis Valentino resigned Monday after just over two months on the job.
Now Raquel M. Reedy, the school district’s associate superintendent for elementary education, will be acting superintendent for the time being.
The APS Board of Education unanimously accepted Valentino’s resignation after a two-and-a-half hour closed door meeting Monday morning. This followed two other closed door school board meetings last week that lasted a combined 10 hours. Terms of Valentino’s resignation weren’t immediately available; the school district promised to send them out today.
School board member David Percy read a prepared statement to the public about Valentino’s resignation.
“Given the parties’ differing views of the current incidents and the challenges in the district, and believing they have fundamental differences regarding the future of the district, an agreement has been reached which allows Dr. Valentino the ability to pursue other career interests and permits the board to hire another superintendent,” Percy said.
Valentino’s resignation contradicts statements he recently made to the media that he would not resign. Last week, he told New Mexico Political Report in an interview, “I do not believe I should resign in the context of what I am sharing with you.”
But the pressure to do so grew each day after New Mexico Political Report first found that his recently resigned deputy was facing a trial in October on previous charges of sexual assault of a child.
It started with a text message
From the time that Valentino accidentally sent a text message to Chief Financial Officer to the time that the Albuquerque Public Schools Board of education decided to move on was a little more than three weeks.
But for Albuquerque Public Schools, it probably seemed like much longer as nearly every day brought new startling news about the state’s largest school district. It all led up to the news that the deputy superintendent Jason Martinez was facing trial for four felonies related to sexual abuse of a child and two charges related to domestic violence. APS never knew because a background check was never completed.
Valentino himself was there for at least some of the first executive session (which is allowed under the state’s Open Meetings Act when discussing “limited personnel matters”).
It appears the hire of Jason Martinez, the deputy secretary hand-picked by Valentino, that ultimately led to the end of Valentino’s tenure in APS just months after being hired to replace another embattled superintendent, Winston Brooks.
From a ‘personnel issue’ to more
The scandal turned from what Valentino dubbed a “personnel issue forced into the headlines” into something more when Martinez resigned.
His resignation came after what seemed like a turf battle between himself and Moya.
Martinez had clashed with Moya in emails over a possible contract for an assessment of the district’s IT system. Moya did not believe it was necessary, while Martinez told the CFO that it was “not your call.”
Just days after the exchange, Valentino sent a text message that he was “going to go after” Moya and asked Public Education Secretary Hanna Skandera if she had “any ideas.” Only Valentino had sent the text message to Moya himself instead of Skandera. That same day, Moya was placed on leave.
Moya has since filed a whistleblower lawsuit against APS, Skandera and Valentino.
The company that Martinez proposed do the IT assessment told media that Martinez pitched the idea personally to Bud Bullard, with whom he had worked at Denver Public Schools. Bullard lost his job after being involved in a kickback scheme.
It was after this, that Martinez resigned, with an APS statement saying it was for personal and family commitments.
Then the Albuquerque Journal reported that APS never completed a background check on Martinez. Background checks are required for all school district employees.
State law states, “An applicant for initial licensure shall be fingerprinted and shall provide two fingerprint cards or the equivalent electronic fingerprints to the department to obtain the applicant’s federal bureau of investigation record.”
This was never done for Martinez.
And a day after that, New Mexico Political Report found out that Martinez was facing six felony charges in Colorado, including sexual assault on a child from a position of trust and sexual assault on a child-pattern of abuse.
A background check would have shown APS that Martinez was facing these charges.
A history of problems at APS
Valentino is the second superintendent in a row, not counting interim superintendent Brad Winter, to be embroiled in controversy.
The report into the personnel issues has still not been released. The district cited personnel and attorney-client exemptions in the state’s open records law as the reason for their refusal to release the report. KOB-TV and the Albuquerque Journal sued the district earlier this year for the document’s release.
Even in his final days, Valentino could not escape new controversy. On Friday, when Valentino was taking personal leave and not in the office, questions about the hire of APS board president Don Duran’s daughter became an issue. State law prohibits the hire of board members’ families to school districts. APS said that she had never technically left the district and was instead on leave to work at a charter school.
Matthew Reichbach contributed to this report.