Suit: Gov, PED secretary influenced APS deputy superintendent hire

© New Mexico Political Report, 2015. Media outlets may republish this story in whole or in part by providing credit to the New Mexico Political Report as the original source. Contact editor@nmpoliticalreport.com for additional inquiries
The latest development in the ongoing Albuquerque Public Schools scandal says Gov. Susana Martinez and state Education Secretary Hanna Skandera had a hand in the hire of the disgraced former deputy superintendent of the school district. The chief financial officer for Albuquerque Public Schools filed a lawsuit against his employer Monday afternoon, alleging a civil conspiracy against him and violations of his whistleblower rights. A spokesman for Skandera denied the allegations, saying he “has an ax to grind.” Don Moya’s lawsuit alleges that embattled APS Superintendent Luis Valentino originally offered Moya the position of deputy superintendent.

Former APS deputy superintendent also faces domestic abuse charges

Timothy Jason Martinez hasn’t just been arrested for sexual assault of a child, but also two violent assault charges. Earlier this year, Denver police booked the now former Albuquerque Public Schools deputy superintendent on two assault charges, both involving men. “The allegation is that on Jan. 25 he was involved in altercation with person he had an intimate relationship with,” said Denver District Attorney spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough. 
One of the allegations from the police report says Martinez struck a person with the side mirror of a car. Police issued a warrant for Martinez on Feb.

AG to look into APS ‘safety breach’

Attorney General Hector Balderas announced on Monday that he will look into the “safety breach” at Albuquerque Public Schools. “I am very concerned about the allegations that safety protocols were breached at APS, I’ve decided to initiate a safety assessment of the matter, and I will be communicating with the district today,” Balderas said in a statement. The school district has been at the center of controversy for weeks. The “safety breach” part appears to come from former deputy superintendent Jason Martinez. Martinez is facing trial for multiple counts of sexual abuse of a child, ranging from sexual abuse of a child from a position of trust to sexual abuse of a child-pattern of abuse.

APS HR head: Superintendent knew background check wasn’t completed

The Albuquerque Journal reported on Saturday night that APS superintendent Luis Valentino was told multiple times that his deputy superintendent did not have a completed background check. The state’s largest newspaper reported on a letter from  APS interim assistant superintendent for Human Resources Karen Rudys in which she said that she informed Valentino multiple times about the lack of a background check for Jason Martinez. New Mexico Political Report revealed on Friday that Martinez, under the name Timothy Jason Martinez, was facing multiple charges related to sexual abuse of a child. Martinez’s trial is set for October. From that report:
Martinez abruptly resigned from APS on Thursday.

APS deputy superintendent who resigned is facing trial for sexual assault of a child

Outgoing Albuquerque Public Schools Deputy Superintendent Jason Martinez had a reason to delay his criminal background check. On July 18, 2013, Denver police arrested Martinez, whose full name is Timothy Jason Martinez, on charges of sexual assault on a child from a position of trust and other felony charges. The case is still ongoing, with a trial date set for Oct. 9 in District Court in Denver. Martinez faces four counts, all of which allege sexual assault of a child.

APS deputy chief never completed required background check

Albuquerque Public Schools Deputy Superintendent Jason Martinez never completed a criminal background check and fingerprinting in his short time at the district. Both are required for all employees, according to the school district’s website. Update: Something that would have showed up on the background check? That Martinez is facing trial in two months for six counts related to sexual abuse of a child. The story continues as originally written below.

APS deputy superintendent resigns amid scandal

The embattled deputy superintendent with Albuquerque Public Schools handed in his letter of resignation late Thursday afternoon, just days into his first school year. Jason Martinez was involved in a high profile back-and-forth with Chief Operating Officer Don Moya over a possible IT assessment. In his letter, according to the school district, Martinez cited personal and family commitments as the reasons for his decision to resign. His resignation is effective Aug. 21.

APS chief: Scandal is ‘personnel issue forced into the headlines’

Albuquerque Public Schools Superintendent Luis Valentino spoke out following a week of controversy over the district’s controversial decision to place an administrator on paid leave. In a written statement released to media outlets late Monday afternoon, Valentino appeared ready to move on. “It’s unfortunate that a personnel issue has been forced into the headlines on these first days of school when our focus should be on our students,” he wrote. His statement follows news of leaked emails showing Chief Financial Officer Don Moya disputing a potential district business deal with a tech company, as well as the district’s subsequent plans to write a request for proposals for an assessment of its IT systems.

Moya was put on leave Aug. 7 after receiving an accidental text message from Valentino that said he was “going to go after him.”

APS deputy chief pitched contract to man fired for kickback scheme

The deputy superintendent of Albuquerque Public Schools directly contacted the controversial former chief operating officer of a tech company for a possible assessment of the school district’s IT systems.

Deputy Superintendent Jason Martinez reached out to Bud Bullard, the former chief operating officer of Advanced Network Management for potential business with the school district. Martinez and Bullard are no strangers. Both worked at Denver Public Schools at the same time. While Bullard was in charge of the district’s IT department, Martinez was the deputy director of academic operations from 2010 to 2012. “In this particular case Mr. Martinez reached out to Mr. Bullard,” ANM CEO Raminder Mann told New Mexico Political Report in an interview, referring to his company’s contact with APS.

APS exec put on leave after flagging ‘questionable RFP’

Last week, the superintendent of the state’s biggest public school district accidentally told one of his administrators via text message that he was “going to go after” him. The school district placed Chief Financial Officer Don Moya on paid leave shortly after Albuquerque Public Schools Superintendent Luis Valentino sent the text message. To date, neither Albuquerque Public Schools or Moya will comment on why Valentino is targeting Moya or why the district put Moya leave. Yet internal school district emails obtained by New Mexico Political Report show Moya raising concerns about a potential business agreement days before being put on leave. At issue was the school district’s possible agreement with an IT company whose former chief operating officer received kickbacks from contractors when he worked with Denver Public Schools.