Recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (9/18/20 edition)

This morning recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico is available in a free email every weekday. Sign up here. See all of our COVID-19 coverage here. In a press conference on Thursday, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham announced some easing of COVID-19 restrictions on youth activities. Read about them here.If you want to watch the press conference, see the video here.Here are the stories on the new loosened restrictions from the Albuquerque Journal, Santa Fe New Mexican, Santa Fe Reporter and the Las Cruces Sun-News.The owners of McCall’s Pumpkin Patch in Moriarty aren’t happy with the governor’s orders on reopening, KOB-TV reported.A lawsuit led by a Republican state representative is challenging the state’s rules that bar some school districts from opening because of high rates of COVID-19 in their counties, the Albuquerque Journal reported.While the governor said she is “cautiously optimistic” that college basketball will be able to restart, University of New Mexico and New Mexico State University basketball teams are not currently able to practice because of the state’s public health order, the Albuquerque Journal reported.The City of Santa Fe plans to buy a motel to provide COVID-safe housing for homeless people in the city, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.On Thursday, the state of New Mexico reported 159 new cases of COVID-19 and 4 additional deaths related to the disease. See which counties had the most newly reported cases.The Las Cruces Sun-News wrote about the state’s multi-agency effort to address complaints about nursing homes and long-term care facilities.Indoor movie theaters will remain closed under the state’s new public health order, KOB-TV reported.Hundreds of employees, including teachers at Santa Fe Public Schools have asked to stay at home or shift hours when the districts shifts to a hybrid model, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.An employee of the Curry County Sheriff’s Office tested positive for COVID-19, KRQE-TV reported.COVID-19 vaccine trials are starting on the Navajo Nation, the Navajo Times reported.Socorro County’s El Defensor Chieftan wrote about the return to in-person learning as part of the hybrid model.The Navajo Nation has spent $4.9 million in CARES Act funding so far according to the Office of the Controller, the Navajo Times reported.The Chaves County Board of Commissioners spoke about distributing CARES Act small business grants, the Roswell Daily Record reported.The Grant County Commission spoke about CARES Act funding and the balance of tourism versus public safety and more, the Silver City Daily Press reported.The Village of Tularosa’s mayor said they didn’t apply for CARES Act funding because it would be a loan that would need to be paid back, the Alamogordo Daily News reported.Racinos in the state want the governor to reconsider the public health order that keeps them closed, even as tribal casinos have reopened the Santa Fe New Mexican reported; casinos on trial and pueblo land do not have to abide by the state’s public health order.The Valencia News-Bulletin wrote about the protest in Belen by churches over COVID-19 restrictions.The San Miguel Fiesta in Socorro will be canceled this year, but the church will hold a raffle according to El Defensor Chieftan.The Voice winner Chevel Shepherd will hold a drive-in show in Albuquerque, the Farmington Daily Times reported.

Recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (9/17/20 edition)

This morning recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico is available in a free email every weekday. Sign up here. See all of our COVID-19 coverage here. The state passed 27,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, after reporting 119 new cases on Wednesday, with two additional deaths. Read more here, including information on the state’s gating criteria.The Albuquerque Journal looked at the per capita COVID-19 numbers by region, with the highest in the southeast for the week ending Sept. 13.Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham will hold a press conference on the state’s COVID-19 response and the response to the census Thursday at 2:30 p.m.Scientific American wrote about New Mexico’s COVID-19 response and how it has had better results than neighboring states like Arizona and Texas.The state health department said that all campaign rallies must abide by the state’s public health order, the Albuquerque Journal reported.

Recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (9/16/20 edition)

This morning recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico is available in a free email every weekday. Sign up here. See all of our COVID-19 coverage here. State health officials announced seven newly reported deaths and 82 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday. Read more here.U.S. Sen. Tom Udall said Republican leadership in the chamber was stalling on a House-passed bill that would have provided $3 trillion in COVID-19 relief aid, KOB-TV reported. Udall and other Democrats, plus Republican Rand Paul, voted against the Senate bill that would have provided $300 billion in aid.The City of Farmington has seen an increase in suicides this year, possibly because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Albuquerque Journal reported.Las Cruces Public Schools will have remote learning for the rest of the fall semester, the Las Cruces Sun-News reported.The Farmington City Council will distribute $200,000 in CARES Act funding to nonprofits in the city, the Farmington Daily Times reported.Las Cruces city councilors will meet with business owners and employees on whether or not to lower the city’s minimum wage for tipped employees during the pandemic, the Las Cruces Sun-News reported.On Tuesday, Navajo Nation health officials announced 9 new cases of COVID-19 and one additional death related to the disease.KOB-TV reported on how members of the Navajo Nation are using their culture to fight back against the spread of COVID-19.Buffalo Thunder and several other Santa Fe-area workplaces reported COVID-19 cases, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.Five percent of all public school staff members will be tested for COVID-19 each week, KOB-TV reported.As of Sept.

Recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (9/14/20 edition)

This morning recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico is available in a free email every weekday. Sign up here. See all of our COVID-19 coverage here. The state announced 203 new cases of COVID-19 and five additional deaths this weekend, with 100 cases and three deaths related to the disease reported on Saturday and 103 new cases and two additional deaths reported on Sunday.Weeks after the start of the state’s public health emergency, the Management and Training Company told Otero County officials that if they didn’t get more detainees, the company would cancel the contract. Read more here.Reveal wrote about the problems the state had with tests at facilities that had ICE detainees.A judge denied an inmate’s request for release, saying that being in prison would be safer than being at home when it came to COVID-19. Read more here.Hundreds of people in Belen feathered to protest COVID-19 restrictions for churches, KOB-TV reported.

Recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (9/8/20 edition)

This morning recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico is available in a free email every weekday. Sign up here. See all of our COVID-19 coverage here. We spoke to several mothers about how they are handling the pandemic, between juggling working from home and helping their children with schooling and much more. Read the story here.New Mexico In Depth wrote about how the pandemic showed that the need for child care is essential.This weekend, the state crossed 26,000 total confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 800 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic. This included 152 newly reported cases on Saturday, with six additional deaths; 66 new cases and three new deaths reported on Sunday and 46 new confirmed cases and four deaths on Monday.The 46 new cases was the lowest total for a single day since April, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.Following the weekend, the Navajo Nation has reported a total of 523 deaths related to COVID-19 and 9,901 total COVID-19 cases since the beginning of the pandemic.Some of the Navajo Nations projects with CARES Act funding are moving forward, including supplying electricity to homes previously not attached to the grid, KOB-TV reported.The Santa Fe New Mexican spoke to Earl Collison, the first COVID-19 patient to be hospitalized for the disease.

Recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (9/4/20 edition)

This morning recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico is available in a free email every weekday. Sign up here. See all of our COVID-19 coverage here. On Thursday, DOH reported 202 new COVID-19 cases and one additional death related to the disease. Read more here.The state Public Education Department provided an update on the plans to allow some elementary schools to open to limited in-person instruction through a hybrid model. Read which counties made the cut and what the plans are here.See also the reports by the Santa Fe New Mexican and the Albuquerque Journal.The Santa Fe Reporter looked at what Santa Fe Public Schools is doing to continue schooling during the pandemic.

Recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (9/3/20 edition)

This morning recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico is available in a free email every weekday. Sign up here. See all of our COVID-19 coverage here. In an update on Wednesday, the state said it is still meeting its gating criteria, but also reported 154 new cases of COVID-19 and three additional deaths. Read more here.In that same webinar, the state’s Human Services Department Secretary encouraged New Mexicans to get their flu shot and said that doing so would stop the state from being overwhelmed when the COVID vaccine comes out—which could happen as soon as November, per guidance from the federal government. Read more here.The state is also bracing for a behavioral health crisis because of the COVID-19 response, the Albuquerque Journal reported.Two male inmates at the Grant County Detention Center tested positive for COVID-19, the Silver City Daily Press reported.The Navajo Nation’s partial weekend lockdowns will continue, the Albuquerque Journal reported.Albuquerque food inspectors are dinging restaurants and grocery stores for not being in compliance with the state public health order, in addition to their usual inspections, KRQE-TV reported.

Recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (9/1/20 edition)

This morning recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico is available in a free email every weekday. Sign up here. See all of our COVID-19 coverage here. On Monday, the state Department of Health announced nine additional deaths related to COVID-19 along with 73 additional cases. Read more here.The Las Cruces Sun-News noted that a reported death in Doña Ana County was the youngest so far in the county, a woman in her 40s.Navajo Nation health officials announced 20 new COVID-19 cases and one additional death related to the disease for the Navajo Nation.State officials told legislators that New Mexico has lost about $2 billion in economic activity because of the lack of tourism, KOB-TV reported.Airport traffic at the airport in Santa Fe is picking back up, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.Ten contractors or employees at Santa Fe Public Schools have now tested positive for COVID-19, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.A Carlsbad Municipal Schools teacher tested positive for COVID-19; the department said the teacher had not worked with students in-person, the Carlsbad Current-Argus reported.Three more employees at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant tested positive for COVID-19, the Albuquerque Journal reported.Doctors are seeing an increase in children and teens seeking mental health care, a child psychiatrist told KRQE-TV.The deadline for local governments to apply for state relief funding ended on Monday, the Associated Press reported.Albuquerque area churches increased their capacity following the change to the state’s public health order, KRQE-TV reported.A giveaway in Las Cruces will provide over 5,000 reusable masks to those who need them in, the Las Cruces Sun-News reported.Rio Rancho Public Schools will surevery parents on a possible hybrid-learning model, KOB-TV reported.The state Tourism Department is including Alamogordo in its COVID-19 recovery initiative, the Alamogordo Daily News reported.Some Rio Rancho business owners said the city’s program helped them keep operating during the pandemic, the Rio Rancho Observer reported.The number of rapid responses from the New Mexico Environment Department are low in Otero County, the Alamogordo Daily News reported.The National Museum of Nuclear Science and History reopened with COVID-safe practices, KRQE-TV reported.The Daily Lobo wrote about the challenges facing fine arts students with distance learning.

Recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (8/31/20 edition)

This morning recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico is available in a free email every weekday. Sign up here. See all of our COVID-19 coverage here. The state announced 246 new cases this weekend, and three additional deaths, with 139 new cases and two additional related deaths reported on Saturday and 107 new cases and one additional death reported on Sunday.On Friday, the state reported crossed 25,000 total cases. Read more here.Chaves County reported 28 COVID-19 cases on Sunday, the most in the state, the Roswell Daily Record reported.University of New Mexico researchers stopped a clinical trial on the use of convalescent plasma from those who have recovered from COVID-19 after finding no evidence that it helped, the Albuquerque Journal reported.Researchers at New Mexico State University are using wastewater tests as a way of possibly detecting outbreaks of COVID-19, the Las Cruces Sun-News reported.Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham apologized after criticizing residents of Española for not wearing masks, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.Las Vegas City Schools announced the second confirmed case within the district this weekend, the Las Vegas Optic reported.KOB-TV looked at preparations by election officials for the upcoming general election.Navajo Nation health officials announced 20 new COVID-19 cases and two additional deaths this weekend, with nine on Saturday and 11 on Sunday.Childcare providers say that they know not all parents are comfortable with using their services during the pandemic, the Las Cruces Sun-News reported.The Las Cruces Sun-News wrote about the return of indoor service at restaurants in the area.Some restaurants, the paper reported, will keep indoor dining areas closed for now because allowing indoor dining at 25 percent capacity wouldn’t be enough.The Eastern New Mexico News reported on indoor dining in that area.This weekend also brought back expanded indoor services at places of worship, which KRQE-TV reported. Some museums in Albuquerque will reopen in mid-September, KOB-TV reported.Two Santa Fe grocery stores had employees test positive for COVID-19, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.Restaurants that lost their food service permits for violating the state’s COVID-19 public health order will have a hearing this week on reinstating those permits, the Farmington Daily Times reported.And the Las Cruces Sun-News also wrote about how the pandemic is having an impact on the green chile crop.Looking further ahead, the Santa Fe New Mexican wrote about the chaos that the pandemic is causing to ski areas as they plan for their season this winter.NMSU will start a large-scale COVID-19 testing program as students and employees return to campus in Las Cruces, KRQE-TV reported.Buffalo Thunder Resort & Casino will reopen on September 2, the hotel and casino announced.The Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort  Casino will open Monday, the Albuquerque Journal reported.The Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico announced that it helped raise over $700,000 to aid area families.Meanwhile, the city of Las Cruces’ Utility Assistance Fund is being drained during hte pandemic, the Las Cruces Sun-News reported.The Albuquerque Journal wrote about a Mexican circus that has been stuck in Roswell since the start of the pandemic.The University of New Mexico is ramping up testing capacity, the Daily Lobo reported.

Recap of New Mexico COVID-19 news (8/27/20 edition)

This morning recap of COVID-19 news from New Mexico is available in a free email every weekday. Sign up here. See all of our COVID-19 coverage here. The state Supreme Court unanimously ruled that the state has the authority to restrict indoor dining and that their reasoning to do so was not “arbitrary and capricious” as the New Mexico Restaurant Association argued. Read more here.Meanwhile, the state said they will allow indoor dining at 25 percent capacity beginning on Saturday, and increase the capacity allowed for indoor church services. More details will be announced in a press conference this afternoon, but read what we know here.The state reported 205 new cases of COVID-19 and five additional deaths related to the disease.